Official Contest Rules
How to Enter
- No purchase necessary. Consumers can visit www.WinwithUniversal.ca and click on the area “I don’t have a PIN” and fill out the information on the site: First Name, Last Name, Email address, Address, City, Province, Postal Code, Phone Number, Testing Question, agree to the terms and conditions, fill out the I’m not a Robot section and click on submit. Limit one pin code entry per email. Additionally consumers can enter the contest and receive a pin code by 1) providing a 3” x 5” piece of paper with your first name, last name, age, email address and postal address, together with a unique 50-75 word essay on your favourite Universal movie? (the “Essay”). Mail the above information and Essay in a No. 10 business-sized envelope to: Build Your Collection and Win with Universal Contest for Best Buy – Attn: Home Video Department 4th Floor at 2450 Victoria Park Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M2J 4A2 (sometimes referred to herein as a “Mail Entry”). Enter as often as you wish, but each Mail Entry must be mailed separately. The Sponsor will not accept mechanically reproduced, photocopies or bulk Mail Entries, all of which will be void. Each Essay must be the original composition of the entrant, unique from any prior entry and created specifically for this Contest. Duplication may result in disqualification. Essays must not: (A) include indecent, discriminatory, hateful or defamatory words; (B) infringe the rights of any person or entity, including without limitation, copyright or trademark rights (C) invade the privacy rights of any person; or (D) include disparaging words about the Best Buy or Universal Studios or be inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which the Best Buy and Universal Studios wish to associate, all of the foregoing to be determined in Sponsor’s sole and absolute discretion. Each Mail Entry must be mailed in a separate outer envelope, with a legible return address and postmark, bearing sufficient postage. All Mail Entries must be postmarked by June 1st, 2017 and received by June 5th, 2017. Proof of mailing does not constitute proof of delivery.
Entries may be made between 6 a.m. PST on April 4th, 2017 and 11:59 p.m. PST on June 5th, 2017 (the “Contest Period”) in one of the following methods:
- a. In Store: Consumers visit Best Buy stores and purchase one of the selected titles on the Build Your Collection section fixture. Consumers who purchase one of the selected titles in the program section will receive a contest entry pin code at the bottom of their register receipt and can visit www.WinwithUniversal.ca to enter the contest code.
- b. Online: Consumers who purchase one of the selected titles in the program section will receive a contest entry pin code from Best Buy email and can visit www.WinwithUniversal.ca to enter the contest code.
- Only one entry per person. Participants making multiple entries may be disqualified. Entries that are fraudulent are not permitted and will be declared invalid.
Who Can Enter
- The Contest is open to residents of Canada who have reached the age of majority in their province of residence before the end of the Contest Period. Where an entrant is a minor, a parent or guardian who has reached the age of majority in his or her province of residence by the closing date of the Contest, must indicate acceptance of the Contest rules. The Contest is open to residents of Canada.
- The Contest is not open to employees of Best Buy Canada Ltd. (“Best Buy”), and its parent, subsidiaries, or affiliated companies, their advertising and promotion agencies, or their other representatives or agents, or anyone with whom any of the foregoing is domiciled.
- There are  (gift card) prizes available to be won: 10 individual $1,000.00 Best Buy gift cards. The total retail value of the prizes is approximately $10,000.00.
- Each prize must be accepted as awarded. The prizes may not be sold, transferred and no component thereof is convertible to cash.
- Prizes to be administered by Best Buy. All of the above Prize details are subject to change without notice at the Best Buy’s sole discretion.
- All other expenses not specified herein are the sole responsibility of the winner.
Prizes are subject to the following restrictions:
- a. Each Prize is non-transferable, non-exchangeable, and not redeemable for cash;
- b. Each prize must be accepted as awarded and may not be sold; and
- c. Best Buy reserves the right to substitute any of the prizes with a prize of equivalent retail value in the event the prizes are not reasonably available at their discretion.
- The contest will take place from April 4th, 2017 at 6 a.m. PST until June 5th, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. PST. One draw for 10 individual winners will be made. Draw(s) will be made on June 15th, 2017 at Universal Studios located at 2450 Victoria Park Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M2J 4A2.
- Following the draw(s), the selected entrants will be contacted at the email address or telephone number included in their Contest entry.
In order to receive a prize, the selected entrants must:
- a. Respond to the prize notification email or telephone call within forty-eight (48) hours of transmission;
- b. correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing question; and
c. sign a declaration stating that he/she:
- i. has read, understands and complies with the Contest rules;
- ii. releases and discharges Best Buy and its parents, subsidiaries affiliates, officers, directors, employees, and agents(collectively, the “Released Parties”) and
- iii. consents to the announcement of the winner's name and the use by or on behalf of Best Buy of the winner's name, address, photograph, likeness, voice or statements, and/or use of winning room for advertising and promotional purposes without any further compensation to the winner.
- Should the prize winners fail to comply with any of the requirements set out in paragraph 13, their applicable prize will be automatically forfeited and another entrant will be selected by random draw.
- The chances of winning a prize depends on the number of eligible entries received.
Consent to Personal Information Use and Disclosure
- By entering the Contest, participants consent to Best Buy’s collection, use and disclosure of the personal information provided in Contest entries for the administration of the Contest and in aggregated, non-personal form in order to create reports regarding Contest entrant demographics and consumer habits, which reports Best Buy’s may disclose to others.
Disclaimer and Liability Exclusion
Best Buy and its parent, subsidiaries and affiliates will not, under any circumstances, be responsible for, or liable to any Contest entrant or any other person for:
- a. any erroneous, lost, damaged, late, incomplete, misdirected, deleted, defective, or altered Contest entries, regardless of the cause;<\li>
- b. any failure for any reason whatsoever of the selected entrant to receive a prize notification email;<\li>
- c. any changes in email addresses or email address assignments after Contest entry forms are submitted;<\li>
- d. any computer, online, telephone, or technical malfunctions or errors that may occur, regardless of the cause; or<\li>
- e. any damage or loss, including any loss of use, loss of production, loss of profits (anticipated or otherwise), loss of markets, economic loss, special, indirect or consequential loss or damage or punitive damages, whether in contract, tort or under any other theory of law or equity, arising from, connected with, or relating to the Contest or the submission of entries to the Contest or participation in the Contest or the Contest prize, or the use of the www.bestbuycanada.ca web site (including the downloading of any materials from that web site) and regardless of the cause or any negligence by Best Buy or anyone for whom Best Buy is responsible, and notwithstanding that Best Buy may have been advised of the possibility of such loss or damage being incurred. <\li>
- If for any reason the Contest is not capable of being conducted as intended by Best Buy, including due to computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause that corrupts or interferes with the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Best Buy may, at its sole discretion, disqualify any entrant responsible for such misconduct and cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest.
- CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR INTERFERE WITH THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND BEST BUY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND/OR OTHER RELIEF FROM ALL RESPONSIBLE PERSONS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Return of any prize notification email as undeliverable may result in disqualification, and an alternate winner may be selected.
- Decisions of Contest judges in respect of any aspect of the Contest are final and binding on all entrants.
- Participation in the Contest constitutes acceptance and agreement to these Contest rules.
- Best Buy reserves the right, at their option, to publish the winner's name, address, photograph, likeness, voice or statements without any further compensation to the winner.
- The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and local laws and is void where prohibited by law. Best Buy may, where required by law, disclose contest entrant information to the government. If any provision of these rules is found by any court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable, all other provisions will remain in full force and effect.
- Best Buy may, where required by law, disclose contest entrant information to the government.
- Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of this publicity Contest may be submitted by a resident of the Province of Quebec to the Régie des alcools, des jeux et des courses for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted by a resident of the Province of Quebec to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.